Thursday, August 23, 2012

STK Out, New York

Among the drawbacks of working on food publications is the notion that every meal could be something special. Oh, and ravenous hunger, too. I usually bring lunch, since all of the places I've tried around Bryant Park feature pricy, boring food. But one day I arrived at the office empty handed. At around 2, with lunchtime way overdue, I ran across the street to STK Out and picked up a $14 bag of heartburn.

The Day-Boat Cod sandwich was ok, the fish was juicy and seemed fresh though any flavor it may have had was overpowered by tartar sauce that tasted like cheap yellow mustard. I should have followed Buck Nevada's lead and asked for the sauce on the side. Somehow I had the impression that the sandwich came with truffle parmesan fries, but no, they were extra. They were crispy, but very, very salty and oily.

It was a meal to remember, but not for the right reasons.

No comments: